MTA Bridges and Tunnels
Construction Administration, Inspection, and Design Oversight Services for Design-Build Project BW-07/BW-32 Fender Protection and Fire Standpipe Systems at the Bronx Whitestone Bridge (BWB)
The Project involved Design-Build services for the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge (BWB) fender, fireboat mooring platforms, and standpipe systems. The following were the major components of the project:
Design and Construction of:
- New fendering system and security fence at Bronx tower
- New fendering system and security fence surrounding Queens tower
- New FDNY fireboat moorings and standpipe supports at Bronx and Queens towers
- New dry fire standpipe systems at Bronx and Queens towers, including pipe supports anchored to existing tower foundations and to existing steel towers
- Modifications to existing security fencing surrounding tower bases and other ancillary items positioned along trajectories of standpipes
- Navigation lighting on new fendering systems.
- Maintenance and protection of traffic while performing construction at bridge deck level.
- Design, construction, and removal of temporary access platforms and scaffolds required for the completion of the work.
- Standpipe system design approval by FDNY, as well as testing and commissioning in coordination with the Authority and FDNY.